Monday, September 19, 2011

Public Speaking (Can you do it? YES YOU CAN!)





I am terrified at the thought of getting up in front of people (yes, it's true, a public speaking teacher is terrified).  Let me explain:  When I was a kid, I took piano lessons. Every spring, our piano teacher would have us prepare for a formal recital. We would pick out our piano pieces (I can still hear her saying "Classics only! None of this pop music crap!"), practice them until memorized, and then wait with dread for the fateful day. When it arrived, all of us would put on our Sunday Best, and trudge over to the local church for our recital. We were given a corsage to wear and a program, then ushered to our seats in the front of the chapel. Then we would wait and watch ("Quietly children, sit quietly! No wiggles!"). We watched as the chapel got filled with friends and family. A LOT of friends and family. Ok, a WHOLE LOT of friends and family (gulp).  I secretly started cursing Beethoven, and the music he wrote that I held in my hand (just in case). All of a sudden, there seemed to be a lot more notes on my music. And as I looked the music over, I panicked. I hadn't ever noticed this crescendo before, where did that come from?! And had I really paid attention to the tempo and the time signature even?  I looked at my music like it was written in the Greek language.

     About that time, my friend elbowed me. "Hey Lori, are you ok?" 
     "Of course I'm ok;" I whimpered, "Why?"
     "Well because your skin looks funny." 

I ran (quietly of course), to the bathroom and looked with horror in the mirror. All over my face, my neck, my arms, and my hands was this awful red splotchy rash.

     GREAT.

I tried splashing water on my skin. Nothing. And now my dress was wet, and I looked like I had been sweating profusely. To make matters worse, I started to tear up. Now some people in Hollywood or other alien cultures actually look beautiful when they cry. Not me. The blotches got worse, and my eyes turned red. And I was third on the program. My mom enters the bathroom:

    "Lori, there you are, you're up next, what in the world are you...." 

She doesn't finish her sentence, because she just now really looks at me and sees the mess that I am.  We share a moment of horror. Then she tries her best to hide her original thoughts and says;

     "You look fine. Beautiful. You will do great!"

She then ushers me back to my seat in the Chapel of Hell.  I hear "Spinning Wheel's" last measure. That's my cue. I go up to the piano, sit down, take a deep breath, look down at my fingers ("Don't look at your fingers Lori, true pianists rarely look!"), and they are shaking. They look like alien digits and not my own. And then...somewhere, Beethoven (who was profoundly deaf later in life) covers his ears and groans. 

And that's how all of my piano recitals went. Year after year. People (well, my family and friends anyway) would show up just to see the "Red Headed Blotchy Girl with Alien Fingers" play Mozart, Chopin, and Debussey. And for all that torture, my piano teacher (God bless you Mrs. Ricks), would give me a pansy in a planter as a gift. Every single pansy I ever received wilted and died. Apparently pansies don't like Red-Headed Blotchy Girls either.  I saw it as a sign.


Now, you're probably wondering, "What does this have to do with YOUR experience in public speaking & performance? This sounds horrible, why would you tell me this?"  Well I'll tell you. 

PERFORMING IN PUBLIC IS HECKA SCARY.  

Yep, that's right. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you. I won't even give you a pansy (it won't grow anyway). 

According to the "Book of Lists," people rank public speaking up there with death. Yep...Number one fear is a loved one dying a horrible death (piano recital maybe). Number two is you yourself dying in a horrible way (totally piano recital). Number three?  PUBLIC SPEAKING. 

Fast forward several years to a classroom at BYU-Idaho.  Young, excited, vibrant students all eager to get up in front of their peers and change the world with their speeches (insert appropriate sit-com laughter here).  And I am here to teach them how (insert appropriate "you lose" music from The Price Is Right).

     Is it even possible? 
     Can public speaking actually be done right? 
     Can YOU give a great speech? 
     Does Sis Embree have any flowers that lived? 

The answer to the above questions is YES, YES, YES, and STILL WORKING ON IT.  In my next blog post, I am going to outline the basics of public speaking for you. With a little knowledge, a lot of practice, and perhaps some itch relief rash creme, we will conquer the third biggest fear! 

Take THAT Beethoven!

27 comments:

  1. I'ver never had an allergic reaction to public speaking, but I am always pretty nervous as so many people are. Hope I can work on that this semester!
    -Aaron Potter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this story! It is inspiring to know that people can become better at public speaking over time. I don't like to speak in public, but I feel that through this class I can learn skills and tools that will help me. I also love this blog because it is so inspiring and positive! I have my doubts, but maybe by the end of the semester I'll be a little bit better.
    -Sami Sawtelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, none of my public speaking moments can even compare. But I can relate to the feelings. This gives me courage!

    -Scott A. Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is weird for me sometimes I get really nervous and others I am just like "what the heck" I don't really know why that is, but I am excited to be able to learn how to control feelings, etc to make myself more at ease.

    -Cameron Blakely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Public speaking is up there with big fears! I went skydiving this year and honestly...my heart was pounding less than when I have to stand infront of a room with all eyes on me and deliver some sort of message!! ...I would also rather sing than talk in church at any given opportunity!! Which people think is crazy! But the words are there for you...and you are done in 2 minutes!!...I will conquer this fear!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember really having a problem with speaking in public, but singing? or playing an instrument? ya. Killer. I did harp festival every year and each time I would sit down my hands would shake and fall off the strings and the judges would just scribble away on their little pieces of paper. It just made things worse. So yes, I am excited to learn how to overcome this anxiety so I'm not the red-haired harpist that is practically crying because she can't remember what key she is in.

    Cameron: I agree with wanting to learn how to control feelings. That will be nice.

    Lauren: I agree with the singing. for the most part. Singing in church is nice-except when your face twitches-and congrats on skydiving! I have always wanted to do that.

    Sami: I also loved this story. Of course I could relate quite easily, but I agree with wanting to learn how to do better and overcome fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No matter how well I prepare to give a talk or a speach I get very nervous. However, I have fund that the more I do it the less nervous I get. Hopefully the practice I gain from this class will help be overcome my nerves even more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well i havent ever gotten a rash either but when i do get up in front of people to give speeches my heart begins to beat faster and I get nervous and i speed up. I just need to learn to be comfortable with the audience but i know i can master it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope this will work for to gain the confidence to actually get up and give a speech without it sounding like I'm about to cry. Yes, instead of a red rash, I sound like I'm starting to cry, when really I'm not. So I want to learn to conquer my fear. I also start playing with my hands, like cracking my knuckles or just twisting them. I will be a good spokesperson (I really have to because it's a major part of my job description).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren Cooper- I do have to say that it is crazy that you would rather sing then just give a talk. I feel like some people fall asleep during talks and when it’s time for the interlude that’s when people wake up and take a stretch. For skydiving and speaking would both be bad. Not one or the other, so I think you are a brave, brave person.

    Sami- I’m with you I want this class to help me become a better speaker, not just for speaking in church, but also for my major. A positive attitude goes a long way. I think this class will help anyone who will try to learn the speaking techniques to become a better speaker.

    Kylee- I’m with you, I think that playing an instrument is way worse than speaking. When we speak, at least we can have the Holy Ghost to help us and guide us. While, I think playing an instrument where people are judging you on how well you play, is one of the most terrifying things in the world. Okay well maybe the third worse thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Responce to -Scott A. Edwards
    This does give me courage as well! It is always good to have an example of someone who has been able to overcome what you are trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Responce to Sami
    I agree that by putting time and effort into anything you can become better. This doesnt not mean perfect, but better is always a reasonable goal for us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Responce to Connor Smith
    Everytime I give a talk my heart beats so fast. It always seems like its going to make me do bad but I assure myself that i will do good and as soon as I begin my talk thigs get better. This rush makes me focuses and like I have said before, each time I speak I get better at controlling my emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved how Sis. E wrote this particular piece! Very fun to read, it makes me excited and a wee bit nervous about public speaking(which is odd because I give speeches all the time). I know anything is possible if we have faith in ourselves and rely on the Holy Ghost to comfort us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Connor Smith- I experienced the same thing!

    @ Olivia Machen- When I gave my first ever thought as a newly baptized convert I sounded like I was about to cry!

    @ Cameron Blakely- I agree about learning how to control your emotions. We just psych ourselves out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Response to Kylee
    Agreed. let me talk in front of people, I'm okay. Have me sing in Sacrament no matter how flattering it is that I am specifically asked for to do it, I freak... when I'm up there. I think it has to do with no confidence in that area because people will tell you you did well even if you didn't when it comes to a performance, but after proclaiming your testimony, if you've got ten people coming up to you and expressing how much they enjoyed it and how it helped them, you know that you've done well. I have been blessed to sing through the Spirit but not half as often as speaking through it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The above is T'mara's post as is this one... sorry my computer does not like me today... or any day.

    Reply to Missy: I definitely agree that this was a fun thing to read and very personal. But, that's what made it relatable and awesome! The Holy ghost can definitely be a guide in this process.

    reply to Lauren: It's funny how the things that scare us are totally opposite. I fear that I am not appropriately putting enough care into the song as the writer or proclaiming the message as well and you fear that you will not be able to get across what you want to say and maybe even that what you have to say isn't worth hearing.

    And for some reason my origninal post didn't show up so... I believe that with public speaking, I have gotten better just by watching and kind of critiquing others, but I am glad that I can have the guidance of this class to really be better at it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading this article gave me a lot more confidence with my public speaking. Thanks Sister E. for sharing that story it helped! It’s true though I am terrified every time I have public speak but I just don’t show it. I focus on the message I want to portray and get lost in it when speaking so I can forget about my fear. My hands always shake before I start which doesn’t help soften my fear. But I always apply a great motto before I speak. Fake it tells you make it, works every time.

    Missy Jensen: I agree with this is a very fun piece to read. I felt sorry for Sister E. but I was very entertained at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. After reading about Sister Embree and her fears as a child, then seeing how confidently she speaks to us in class, it gives me hope for my future and that I can do it too.

    Missy-We are blessed to be members of the church and to have the help of the Holy Ghost! I agree that he will be there to comfort us. I will be needing that help!

    Sami-I agree that we will all be better at speaking in public by the end of the semester. I have learned a lot already!

    Scott-This story gives me courage as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is an awesome story about how anyone can learn how to do something they are terrified of. Public speaking frightens me quite a bit as well but is something i really want to be good at because its so essential in todays world. It just takes practice and preparation. Im excited to be in this class and look forward to the progress i hope to attain. Hopefully after this class i will be able to speak in front of crowds without my voice shaking haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great story! Something that I relate to as I have perfomed at piano recitals..I get so nervous that my hands get all sweaty..and when I give a talk I feel like Im going to cry! It doesn't make sense to me! Do I have to cry every time I give a talk in church?? Geesh! Unless, its something really spirtual.. I can't wait to learn how to control my emotions!

    Reply to Ryan..Fake it till you make it!..it sure helps thinking that..

    Reply to Sammy: Public speaking fears will soon be over! Thanks heavens for this class! I agree it will help with not just talks in church..but also in our careers.

    Reply to Kelton: I agree it takes practice and preperations..I heard a quote by Sheri Dew once..she said that its not that she s comfortable at the pupit..but shes comfortable with the message..I always like to keep that in mind!

    -Melissa Roesberry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Missy Jensen: I agree that this story was very entertaining but at the same time very relatable. Public speaking is very scary but we can learn to cope with the fear, and how to present our topics better.

    Melissa: I think just about everyone gets nervous about recitals, talks, games, or whatever it is you do. But being nervous shows that your passionate about what your doing and that you are worried about doing it well. So their is a positive to being nervous. (surpisingly)

    Kelton: thats also a goal im looking forward to acheiving. I to get lost and nervous and have a shaky voice when speaking. I want to improve on that and staying in order when speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am humbled that Sister Embree and her courage to keep going. Not many people stay with things that make them scared! I mean I for one am not a fan of doing things that make me nervous. I have somewhat put aside my free of speaking. But performing and dancing in front of people, I am not a fan of! But I guess if you trust in the Lord, and have faith and know that practice makes perfect we all can succeed.

    Brenda!I love your comment, it is so true. I mean the comments that she makes in class and the way she presents herself. You never would have thought that she has a fear of speaking!

    Ryan- Yes, I think that is like a common thing! Fake it till you make it! And the truth is is that it does work. Cuz before you know it, youve already made it.

    Kyle- I like your comment, we always need to be completely prepared so that we don;t sound like idiots up presenting, with ums and uhs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is what happens to me:
    I usually am thinking to myself, "Okay. Here is my chance to shine. I am going to get people to change the way they think about things and I am going to make them think, "This guy really knows what he is talking about!""
    When it is not my turn to speak, my mind is racing--creating formulas and strategies to solve problems. But when it is my turn to speak, my words are jumbled and I forget key points to my structured thesis and nobody understands what I am saying. I also find it rather hard to breath...Weirrrrd huh.
    After about 5 minutes of speaking, I get more comfortable, though I have forgotten what I am trying to say.

    I really just want to be chill and respectable.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sister Embree,i am fully on practicing, my aim is to beat up this minor spirit of fear. It's sometime embarrassing me in front of audience, especially when i am giving a talk in the sacrament meeting.Hope the end of semester i will be good good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Usually when talking in front a group of people I get nervous and begin to talk quickly and other times I'm completely fine. It all depends on whether I am comfortable or not with the people I am addressing

    ReplyDelete
  27. Robert Weymouth: I loved this story! it helped me realize that i actually can become a better and more confident speaker. Even if it does take awhile, with confidence and lots of practice, we can do anything!

    ReplyDelete