Monday, September 19, 2011

And now the basics of Public Speaking....



Ok, so we're going to go over all of this in class, so I'll make it concise for you here:  

Rule #1 in public speaking:  PREPARE & PRACTICE.  Yep, these are TWO SEPARATE THINGS.  Repeat after me.  PREPARING FOR A SPEECH & PRACTICING A SPEECH ARE TWO SEPARATE THINGS.  Ok, more on that later, let's go on with a review of what we've already talked about and how it applies to public speaking. 

The communication process (that we've all done since forever!) is basically the same whether communicating interpersonally or publicly. Remember the Communication Transactional Model?  All those things will still be present in a public setting (message, noise, channel, environment, etc.). Also remember that communication is a continual two-way process.  We are all simultaneously senders and receivers.  

I.  PREPARATION:  So what all does it take to prepare?  Sitting down at your computer the night before, doing some massive Google search, and hammering out a "talk" that you have no idea how long it is, who will care what you're saying, or why you're even giving it?  NO! (don't even try it bucko).  
1.     Know thy audience! Who are you speaking with?  Do some audience analysis. 
·      Who are they? (age, religion, basic values, etc.)
·      Why are they here?
·      What do they expect from you?
·      What did they come to learn?
·      What environment will you be speaking in?           
Answering these questions will help you focus your topic.  The speech itself is organizationally very much like crafting an essay.  Intro, body, conclusion.
2.     Begin with a goal – what do I want the audience to know/feel/believe at the end of my speech? Answer this ONE question with ONE sentence. Now look at your answer.  Is it lame?  If so, scratch it, and do the process again. When you get that one sentence that you are passionate about, and that you know your audience will be too, continue. 

3.     Choose a topic that:
·      Is appropriate to the audience.
·      That you care about – PASSION will hide a multitude of sins. People are basically empathetic. Your audience will care if they feel that you care. Don’t waste your time and theirs by speaking about something that you aren’t passionate about.
·      You know something about. You need to walk into that room THE expert on your topic. If you don’t know – learn! Knowledge brings confidence and allows you to adapt to audience needs.

4.     Identify and research main points
·      Out of all the things you could talk about on this topic, which are the most important?
·      Which are most suited to your audience and goals?
·      Write them down & brainstorm ideas.
·      Eliminate the ones that do not meet your goals.

5.     Start with the body first, THEN craft the introduction and conclusion.

6.     The introduction has four main purposes.  All of which must be met: 
·      First:  To Gain attention. An interesting story (short!), a powerful statistic, a joke (if you tell a joke, make sure that it relates to your topic in some way. Other ideas:  rhetorical question, startling statement, personal reference, analogy, etc.) 


·      Second:  To Establish rapport with audience – they need to see you as a person, not a “speaker.” Make them like you or at least think you have something in common and they are more likely to listen. Sometimes rapport can be gained with something as simple as a smile.
·      Third:  To Provide a thesis statement/preview. People need to know where you are going so they can follow along with you. It fills deep-seated psychological needs for order. Have you ever been listening to a speech and five minutes in realized that you have no idea where this is going? Irritating, isn’t it?  Sum up your speech in one clear concise statement. 
·      And fourth:  To establish motivation – How/why does this affect the listener? Why should they care? Listening is hard work. If you don’t give people a reason to listen they won’t. You have about 30 seconds to a minute to gain their attention or you’ve lost them.

7.     The conclusion also must do four things:
·      First, it must summarize main points – remind them what they have learned.
·      Second, it must restate or re-assert thesis.  Remind them what your main goal(s) was/were. 
·      Third, it must re-establish motivation – remind them why they should care.  Give your audience something to do with your words.
·      Fourth, it must provide closure – don’t just quit, END.

8.     The body of your speech: 
·      Should only contain 3-5 main points.  Too many points and you will lose your audience.  
·      Should state each point as you begin discussing it.  (sometimes called a tag line, or mini-thesis)
·      Should have credible supporting material.  (testimony, analogy, facts/stats, story, example, definitions, etc.)

Think of your speech as a GIFT.  The actual present inside the wrapping paper and ribbon is the BODY of your speech. The wrapping paper lets you know that it’s a GIFT – that’s your INTRODUCTION.  And the ribbon that ties everything together?  That’s your CONCLUSION. 


II. DELIVERY.  93% of a message is non-verbal. This means that 93% of your speech’s impact isn’t going to be the actual words coming out of your mouth. It will be how you deliver it.  Don’t just stand there and clutch the podium, delivering your speech in a monotone (dry eyes guy) voice.
1.     Be Dynamic – do you care? SHOW ME! Show enthusiasm (when appropriate) but always show passion.
2.     Be Direct – focus on audience link! Perhaps the most important concept in public speaking. Established through DIRECT, CONSTANT EYE CONTACT!  **The best public speaking advice I ever received was from Alan Bossard, my old debate coach: “Never speak to an audience. Speak to a collection of individuals, one at a time!”** 
3.     Be conversational – natural. Don’t adopt a “speaker persona,” just talk to your friends. Be unobtrusive – focus attention on the message, not the speaker
4.     Have purposeful movement.  - Movement should be purposeful, not distracting. Think about gestures, posture, feet positioning, etc. Don’t dance, pace, or rock.  Until you feel most comfortable, consider the speaker’s triangle. Works like a charm!
5.     Think about your Appearance – make it appropriate to message and audience.
6.     Be Ethical. Don’t cite sources that aren’t real, or use information that’s not your own.
7.     Show respect for your audience. Don’t insult them if you’re trying to change their mind on an issue. Show respect for all points of view.
8.     Take the responsibility of being prepared seriously. Don’t cheat yourself or your audience by not preparing and practicing. There are few things worse than a bad speech.


III. PRACTICE.  All of the above isn’t going to matter much if you don’t practice. This doesn’t mean just “reading over” your words. This means practicing. Think of the last play you saw. Would it have been different if the actors just read the lines and stood there on the stage?  You would have been asleep before Act II. Speeches are no different in that regard.
·      Practice familiarizing yourself with the actual text of your speech (memorizing can be tricky, and you can lose your place easily). You may want to consider notecards, but they can be tricky too. Nervous hands play with papers or notecards. Find out what works for you.
·      Figure out how to use the technology in the room you are presenting in. Making your audience wait while you work out technical difficulties doesn’t do much for your credibility. 
·      Go to the presentation center many times.  They will help you organize everything, watch you practice, critique you, tape you, anything you need to give a fantastic presentation. Do NOT skip this vital step.
·      STAND UP (in front of a mirror would be perfect), and practice giving your speech. The rule of thumb is to practice at least three times for each minute in length your speech is. That means if your speech is 7 minutes long….you practice at least 21 times. Pay attention to your voice—your movements—your gestures—your facial expressions.  Change them if they are boring. Do silly things like rehearsing your speech in hillbilly language. Do the funky chicken while you practice so you’re not standing stiff as a board. Now that you’ve totally made a fool of yourself, realize that YOU CAN HAVE FUN.
·      Yep, that’s right, PUBLIC SPEAKING CAN BE FUN.


Next blog topic:  PERSUASIVE SPEAKING.  Is there any other kind? 

14 comments:

  1. It is very true that the speaker really only has the first 30 seconds to a minute to catch the audience's attention. If not they lose them. I've seen both sides of this and can say that a good introduction can really make or break your presentation.
    -Aaron Potter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed that 93 percent of the the message is non-verbal! That is so important because body language when you present is a dead giveaway, if you are fidgety and feel awkward and uncomfortable, that message will translate. Also, what the blog said about having passion is so true. If you believe what you're speaking about, then people are engaged in the speech and they don't notice the little mistakes you make.
    -Sami Sawtelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of your speech representing a present, I definitely understand why in the past my speeches were gifts wrapped in toilet paper. It's more about presentation than what you say. Will definitely focus a lot more on the first few seconds I have with the audience. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how it is all broken down into easy to follow steps. I also was shocked about 93% being non-verbal. That means I have A LOT to work on, but I guess that is good since I am doing this topic for my group speech.

    -Cameron Blakely

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the idea of thinking about your audience while you prepare. I like the idea of having a goal for what you want that particular audience to get out of your speech...what you want them to know/feel/believe by the end of it!

    I was so shocked to find out that 93% is nonverbal!! You really have to be attentive and aware of how you are presenting everything and not just the words that are coming out of your mouth! This is such great information to have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally! A good outlet to passion!! Now i just need something that I am passionate about. I loved the tip to be conversational-that way the message doesn't come off as being pushed at all. And to think of the specific individuals instead of the blanket term audience.

    Scott: I get what you mean. Looking back it feels like all of my speeches were wrapped with toilet paper.

    Sami: Amen to that! I dislike watching nervous people. It makes me feel nervous for them. So I agree that it is important to be aware of what it is your body is doing.

    Aaron: I agree. It is the same with a good book. I can see why a POW!! beginning is so important-we want the audience to sit up and listen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think what we worked on in class last time is very important! The pow that we should start out with is important because we need there attention or what is even the purpose of giving the speech and spending all of that time preparing.

    Lauren: I agree that it is a good idea to think about our audience. I dont normally think about anything except finishing the speech and getting on with life. I think we should all get more in depth when speaking to others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how there were three main points to this blog. Preparation, Delivery, and Practice, for me I really liked on the preparation point that the body of the speech should only be 3 to 5 main points. I like this because you don’t want to overwhelm your audience. I really like this quote by Alan Bossard, “Never speak to an audience. Speak to a collection of individuals, one at a time.” I like it because sometimes I get caught up in knowing that I’m the speaker and I should just pretend that I’m with my closest friends. For the practice point, I thought just going over it five times out loud would be good enough, but I way wrong about that. I need to work more on practicing.
    Lauren Cooper- I agree with you, I was surprised that 93% is all nonverbal because when you’re giving a speech I usually thought people cared more about the speech. I know I need to work more on not holding onto the podium so tightly.
    Sami-I think if your passionate about your topic makes it go a lot better. Not only in speeches does this pertain to me, but in a classroom as well. I remember in one of my class, I thought it was going to be so boring, but the teacher was so passionate about the topic it made me like it even more. I think speaking is the same way.
    Aaron- I guess in the 30 seconds you have you better start with a pretty big pow. I also agree that when you first listen to a speaker you pay attention the first minute, but if it’s boring you don’t pay attention. However, if it’s a good 30 seconds you want to listen to the whole entire speech.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is T'mara Gillett. Goodness! I do not think I have ever consciously organized a speech or talk. It is quite funny that these things need to be said. But, it is true. Some of this just comes naturally to me and it is nice to see it said right out so I now actually know what I am doing and not just guessing.

    Aaron- Yes, the first 30 seconds makes the difference. I think the issue is keeping that attention once you've got it if there's not that much to say about a topic that is interesting for a seven minute speech.

    Olivia- I like what you said about talking to your closest friends. I think that overall we are all more passionate about a topic when we are speaking one-on-one with a person or with a group of friends. If we can speak like that to our audience, then all else is just tiny logistics.

    Kylee- Yay! Passion! Woot! Agreed, I am excited for the opportunity to passionately speak to people about a topic I feel is important to speak to people about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went over this in class last time and we practiced this with our groups. This I a really good in depth review though. The statistic that blows my mind away still is the 93% of your speech is nonverbal. I find it very interesting as well that how you set a speech is almost identical to how you write a paper which makes it a little easier because we have been taught forever how to write papers.

    Cameron: I agree with you this is very easy to follow because of all the clear steps. It’s not confusing and complicated. It’s the opposite, it’s very easy to understand and read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kylee: The tip of trying to make speeches more of a conversation is a very kid tip. Also it is very affective. A good example of this being used was during President Roosevelts fireside chats. He spoke to the nation almost as if they were face to face, and not as if they were an entire nation.

    Connor: I also agree that what we practiced in class last time was very affective. It really opened up my eyes to the importance of the POW opening. Seeing the difference of an ilprepared POW and a POW like some that were in my class was like the difference of night and day.

    Cameron: Ya its pretty crazy how 93% of what we are saying isnt our words. I also have to work on that because, I usually stress about what i am to say in the speech but thats really only 7% of the message. So its definetly an area to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked the analogy of speech as a gift. I had never thought of it that way but it makes sense. I think it will help me remember the parts of a speech. Also I now that knowing your audience is important in preparing. I had never thought of that being part of preparation.

    Taylor: I agree this is a good review of what we learned in class. It helps to hear it again.

    Olivia: I agree that practicing more is important. I was surprised at how much we should practice.

    Connor: I agree that working on the POW in class was a big help. It helped me see how important it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how it it emphasized to practice your speech out loud. You never really know how long it will be or how well it will flow until you read it out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Indiana Atwood
    So basically what we talked about in class. You got to make your presentation legit for those hearing it. You need to be interacting with the audience. You need to be confident, and have movements worked out. Practice how you would do the speech. Then you just deliver the speech. Seems simple enough. Tedious but simple.

    ReplyDelete