Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Self Concept




Years ago, when my oldest was a baby, she and I flew on an airplane. I remember sitting there, with her on my lap, as the flight attendant explained the safety procedures for the flight. Something stuck out to me - when she was talking about the oxygen masks, she told us they would magically drop from the compartment over our seats. Then she said, "If you are traveling with a child or someone who requires assistance, secure your mask on first, and then assist the other person." I remember almost being horrified at the thought. Why would a good mother do anything besides get that mask over their own child first? I made the decision right then and there that if an emergency happened, I was most certainly going to help my child first.

As the years have gone by, I have thought about that moment on the airplane with regards to my own life. I have thought about the information I have shared and studied about interpersonal communication. I have also changed my mind about my original decision.



In my classes, we start out each semester with a study of the self-concept, and I always ask this question of my students: Why, do you think we start out our study with a look at our own self-concept? I ask them how many of them are good singers, or dancers, or artists. Very few raise their hands. Then I ask them to close their eyes and imagine they are five years old; then I ask them again: How many are good singers, dancers--artists--? Almost every hand goes up. Then I ask: What happened to you? How did you go from being good at those things to where you are now?

Self Concept defined is the relatively stable set of perception one holds of themselves. And everything we learn about ourselves in the first few years of life comes through a process called reflected appraisal. We are what other people tell us we are. For small children, that is the force that shapes their self-concept. Can you imagine, if everyone really understood that, how much different some children's childhoods would be? It makes my responsibility as a parent seem that much more significant.

Psychologists tell us that a lot of the basic beliefs we have about ourselves form in childhood, and they are very resistant to change. This means that our self-concept is not based on accurate, up-to-date information.

Consider this story by an anonymous author:

~The story of HUGH.~

Once upon a time, a Royal Person was born. His name was Hugh. Hugh was unlike anyone who had ever lived before or who would ever live again. Hugh was precious---unrepeatable---incomparable. For the first 15 months of life, Hugh only knew himself from the reflections he saw in the eyes of his caretakers. Hugh was terribly unfortunate. His caretakers, although not blind, had glasses over their eyes. And each set of glasses already had an image on it. So that meant that each caretaker only saw Hugh according to the image on his glasses. Thus, even though Hugh’s caretakers were physically present, not one of them ever actually saw him. By the time Hugh was grown, he was a mosaic of other people’s images of him, none of which was who he really was. Consequently, Hugh really did not know who he was. Sometimes, in the dark of the night, when he was all alone, Hugh knew that something of profound importance was missing. He experienced this as a gnawing sense of emptiness—a deep void. Hugh tried to fill the emptiness & void with many things: power, worldly fame, money, possessions, chemical highs, food, excitement, entertainment, relationships, children, work—other people. But no matter what he did, he never felt the gnawing emptiness go away. In the quiet of the night when all the distractions were gone, he heard a still quiet voice that said: Don’t forget; please don’t forget me! But alas! Hugh did forget & went to his death never knowing who he was.

Obviously, you should read the story as if it were YOU instead of HUGH. Makes you think doesn't it?
As we get older, the influence of reflected appraisal declines because another process takes over. It never completely goes away though--we will probably always care about what others think of us. The new process that becomes more prominent the older we get is called social comparison. We are what we are of or by comparison to others. And, almost always, this is a deadly trap, because we set unfair standards to live up to--trait by trait. We have a tendency as human beings to compare our worsts with others' bests.

I love this story by Jules Feiffer:

Ever since I was a little kid I didn’t want to be me. I wanted to be Billie Widdleton. And Billie Widdleton didn’t even like me. I walked like he walked. I talked like he talked. I signed up for the high school he signed up for---which was when Billie Widdleton changed. He began to hang around Herby Vanderman. He walked like Herby Vanderman. He talked like Herby Vanderman. He mixed me up! I began to walk & talk like Billie Widdleton walking & talking like Herby Vanderman. And then it dawned on me that Herby Vanderman walked & talked like Joey Haverlin, and Joey Haverlin walked and talked like Corky Sabinson. So here I am, walking and talking like Billie Widdleton’s imitation of Herb Vanderman’s version of Joey Haverlin trying to walk and talk like Corky Sabinson. And who do you think Corky Sabinson is always walking & talking like? Of all people – dopey Kenny Wellington – that little pest who walks & talks just like me!” ("Ever Since I Was A Little Kid," by Jules Feiffer)

Our self-concept is further complicated by the fact that we live in a very intense media-related society. The media constantly blasts us with images and messages about who we should want to be. You know what the number one gift request has been for high school seniors every year since 2000? Plastic surgery. Who set this standard? People selling their products. But how come it's them that gets to set this standard? Why do they get to decide what's beautiful and/or acceptable?

Ultimately, it is US that gets to decide. But studies show that most people's self-concept is dominated by the negative. As humans, we have a tendency to focus more on our negative qualities than our positive ones. Consider all the compliments you have or will receive in your life. How many of us have a tendency to almost talk the giver out of them? And while I would dare say that I have had many many more compliments paid to me in my lifetime than negative comments, why is it that I remember specific details of the negative ones?

We could talk about this for the rest of our lives as human beings, and never come to any definite conclusions. This is one crucial area where I am particularly grateful for the Gospel. The Gospel teaches us that we are children of a loving Heavenly Father. Knowing that alone gives you a sense of purpose..of worth...of identity. The Gospel gives us the conclusions that we search for.

In Moses, Chapter 1, as God & Moses are talking, over and over again God calls Moses his Son. Then after God departs, and Satan comes and tries to tempt him, calling him "Son of Man." (http://scriptures.lds.org/en/moses/1).
For every eternal principle, Satan has a counterfeit. Satan wants all of us to believe that we are less than what we are. We were sent here to do important work, and if we see ourselves as anything less than we are, then it's "mission accomplished" for Satan. Why would he try harder to take us out of the game when he can influence us to take ourselves out?

Let's go back to my beginning story about the oxygen mask. If you think of that example as an allegory for life, then it's not only "okay" for us to put the oxygen mask first, it's imperative. How can we serve and help others if we can't take care of ourselves first?

Our responsibility then, is to make sure our mask is secure.



How will you secure yours?

15 comments:

  1. Readin this has made me think about where i would be and whati would be studying if i had been told things dfferently going up. Would i want to fly or write poetry instead of studying mechanical engineering. Now i think the best thing we can all do is secure our own masks and help the people younger than us and encourage them with positive feedback so they can succeed in what they want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the Hugh story. I read it with my name in there. I hope to never get to that point and to never forget God. I hope to get my priorities straight right now. -Gabe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it that the natural man (Mosiah 3:19) wants us all to feel less than we are and compare ourselves to each other. I think we all need to realize that we all are Heavenly Father's children, and that he loves us all. If we all could see each other through God's eyes, then this world would be a much better place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it interesting that the way we are talked to as children shapes us into what we believe we are in the future. It makes me really analyze how I treat my younger siblings and my little nephew. It also makes me wonder how each comment that I make to them will influence their future self-concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you said that it is us that sets the standard, that to me is so profound. Ha ha I know it probably seems so simple to all 'yall, but the story of the kid who copies another kid who copies mannerisms from someone else is exactly how we work as people. I'm sure that line of copy cats is eventually connected, creating a circle. We're not perfect and I'm I agree with the effort to work to perfection. But trying to pry ourselves out of our unique shell is not the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the story of Hugh. It's true that even the people who are most significant to you can only see you from their own perspective. If you let yourself conform to their perceptions you lose your individual identity. I love the gospel because it helps you bring out your identity through your internal relationships with the Lord and the Holy Ghost. These relationships are personal and strenghten your individual personality and are independent from worldy influences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way i will secure myself is to make sure i live a responsible and clean life. That way i can teach the younguns what is right without being a hypocryt. It will also keep me safe and have a safe plesent ride to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keith Drake Comm 150,

    It makes me think of how much there really is to being a parent and how we raise our children. I know that parenting is hard but his just adds to the weight. I know that with the help of heavenly father and when the time is right i will do all i can do to be the best father i can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will say that for the longest time that I didn't really have my own identity. I was known most of my life as the shy kid who wore glasses. But the one thing I've learned over the years is that you just got to find who you are and just be that. It doesn't matter if people laugh, point, poke, sneer, or joke about who you are, because you like who you are and that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This got me to thinking how different we'd be if everyone talked to each other the way they talked to kids all the time. Not dumbed down so it's easier to understand, but full of compliments and positivity. Everyone would probably have such positive self-images.
    I remember thinking the exact same thing about the air masks when I was younger, but over time I grew to understand it too.
    We have to focus on our positives, so we'll be able to make them even better. If we only focus on the negatives, the positive aspects of our self-image won't grow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the Story of HUGE. It really struck me as i read it. I hope i never forget god and that I can live a clean life. I see my brother as an exapmle how he his living a clean life and has a beautiful family now. I love this gospel and blessed of the knowledge i have about the gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This story is very inspiring and makes me hope that I will never forget god in my life. If we make it so we treat everyone as if we had created them, then everyone would be equal, and we would all have great self worth. Kalen

    ReplyDelete
  13. This makes me grateful for my family and the way I was raised. My family loved me as a child (and still do today) and has helped me be the person I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This reminds us that we must help ourself before we can help others. It's crucial that we take into advice what we would do if we were giving ourself advice, as awkwarhttp://www.blogger.com/logout.g?d=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blogger.com%2Flogout-redirect.g%3FblogID%3D6438419631009441008%26postID%3D9173453659158534539d as that sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so true- I have often wondered the same thing on flights. But I love how we can apply it to all categories of our life. We have to have a sure knowledge for ourselves, before we can begin trying to teach others. Especially for me as I approach a mission.

    -Cameron Blakely

    ReplyDelete